Review: Thor: Ragnarok

We know each other!

Two years after the events of Sokovia, Thor (Chris Hemsworth) has been traveling the cosmos trying to understand a reoccurring dream he has been having. After he finds out his brother Loki (Tom Hiddleston) has been impersonating their father, he doesn't have time to deal with that because the Goddess of Death, Hela (Cate Blanchett) has been released from her banishment and promises to take over Asgard.

Director Taika Waititi has a very specific style that's quite the contrast to the brooding Thor the MCU has been presenting in the last few films. (And unlike the majority, I actually preferred The Dark World to the first one) But Waititi lets Thor be that goofy fuck we all knew was inside there.

I've been looking forward to this for some time, but I still had my reservations. I was afraid there would be too much comedy, that they wouldn't feel like the same characters and that there would be no stakes, and I'm happy to say that all those things didn't happen. Yes, there's a lot of laughs in this movie, and the tone does change rather drastically whenever we check back on Hela in Asgard, but I thought it worked. 

Everyone is having a blast in their roles, veterans like Hemsworth, Hiddleston, and Mark Ruffalo and newbies like Blanchett, Tessa Thompson and Jeff Goldblum. Hiddleston surprised me the most. I've always loved how he played Loki, but he's turned into such a completely insufferable person since The Dark World came out that I was afraid that would bleed into his performance. It didn't.

It's not a perfect film. While Hela is now easily one of my favorite Marvel villains, she and Karl Urban didn't get as much to do as I thought. And while I like Loki, trying to make him into a good guy is always a bit suspect to me, even though it ultimately worked overall. The most offensive thing the movie did was only allow Hemsworth to be shirtless for about two minutes. 

Ragnarok is everything I hoped it would be. It's fun and full of surprises. It also sets up next year's Avengers: Infinity War so the hype lives on.

Recommended: Yes

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "Sutur, Son of...a bitch, I thought you were dead." - Thor (Chris Hemsworth)

Comments

  1. Only two minutes?? Not fair. Though I heard they were totally worth it 😂 Everyone is loving this so I REALLY need to watch it, hopefully this weekend. I've heard comparisons to Guardians, that's always a plus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two minutes are better than nothing but it could've used a bit more lol.

      Delete
  2. I was going to see this last Sunday but plans unfortunately changed but I am going to see it this weekend. Plus, I'm in that minority that prefers The Dark World over the first film as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! lol. I don't see why it's shit on so much. I liked it. I hope you like this one too.

      Delete
  3. I do want to see this more so now with your review and from what i heard from other people. Loki was always more mischievous than a dark villain in the folklore even though he ends up against the Gods, causing the death of one and being bound forever. Anyhoo....I can take Loki as on the side of the good for this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really wanted to see more of Cate Blanchett in this one, she was everywhere in promos. Still an enjoyable movie though!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah. I agree. I wanted to see more Cate Blanchett but she seemed a little underused. Enjoyed the film though

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked Urban's performance and character far more than what Blanchett was doing and Hela. Told you Hiddles was awesome! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought Urban's character was going to be more of a villain. I was surprised when he was just kind of a cocky dude in the wrong place at the wrong time.

      Delete
  7. Definitely needed 22 minutes of shirtless Thor... definitely.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum