DVD Review: Daddy's Home

The evil step king

Brad (Will Ferrell) loves kids. He can't have any of his own, so when he marries Sara (Linda Cardellini)  who already has two young children from a previous relationship, he thinks he has it made....until the children's absentee father, Dusty (Mark Wahlberg) comes back into their life and he finds himself in an awkward dad-off to win the children's affection.

If you've seen The Other Guys, you know Ferrell and Wahlberg have tons of comedic chemistry. Since this film is PG-13, and not an Adam McKay PG-13, it does feel like they're held back a bit.

There's a lot of really stupid things about Daddy's Home. Some jokes are very over the top. There's a scene half way through the movie where both Brad and Dusty attempt to teach their young son how to fight some fourth graders who are picking on him. The pay off of this scene is so hysterical it  almost makes the entire thing worth it.

Truthfully, there's not a lot to say about Daddy's Home. It's nothing spectacular, but I did laugh a few times, and pretty hard during one of them.

Recommended: Yes/No. If you like Ferrell and Wahlberg together, you should definitely see it. If not, skip it. 

Grade: C+

Memorable Quote: "I can't stay inside the cones, man." - Dusty (Mark Wahlberg)

Comments

  1. I don't think I want to see this as I heard that it features a cameo from someone I don't want to see ever again as I'm trying to divorce myself from WWE as I haven't been seeing any clips nor read anything about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LMAO, his cameo is (thankfully) short, but the context of it is kind of hilarious. I hated that I thought he was so funny in Trainwreck.

      Delete
  2. i can't say i'm a big fan of these two....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love them but this was nothing near The Other Guys.

      Delete
  3. I love Mark Wahlberg which is the main reason why I checked this out from the library. I didn't even finish it. I got about to the part where the motorcycle crashes through the house... and well... I can't remember much after that. Just not great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was terrible, the last 15 minutes or so are hysterical. So much funnier than the rest of it.

      Delete
  4. I felt pretty 'meh' about this one the whole way through until the final 10 minutes, and then I was absolutely laughing my socks off. That cameo at the end just killed me, I was crying!
    - Allie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the ending is so strong. I wish the film would've keep that standard throughout.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum