Indie Gems: Parts Per Billion

A different take on the end of the world.

A deadly pathogen has been released in the Middle East as chemical warfare. It's spreading rapidly and killing millions. You know there would be people stocking up on supplies, barricading themselves in houses, but there's always going to be those people that still try to go about their day. This movie is about those people.

Andy and Esther (Frank Langella and Gena Rowlands) are scouring a children's hospital for remaining oxygen tanks, trying to survive as long as possible. Andy is the one that sold the information on how to make this deadly weapon in the first place. Then there's his lawyer, Mia and her husband (Rosario Dawson and Josh Hartnett) that were having a rocky marriage to begin with. Andy's grandson Erik (Penn Badgley) and his fiance Anna (Teresa Palmer) take a different approach as Anna tries to let go of her fear of what's going in.

This film is a lot like Bobby. There's a big important event happening, but this film really isn't about that, it's about this small group of people. That's not everyone's cup of tea, but I thought the film worked. Sure, this it's depressing, but it feels very different from other films of this genre. And I will watch anything with Teresa Palmer in it.

Grade: B-

Memorable Quote: "Why is the deepest thing I've ever read on the back of soap?" - Anna (Teresa Palmer)

Comments

  1. I like this premise, but I am lukewarm about the cast. (I'm not familiar with Teresa Palmer). I am intrigued by the fact that it seems different from others in the genre, though. I may check it out. I'll see if it's on Netflix streaming. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is on Netflix streaming, actually. That's how I watched it. I love Teresa Palmer. She's a terrific Aussie actress

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum