Indie Gems: The Immigrant

Welcome to America, you get to be a hooker now.

Ewa (Marion Cotillard) escapes conflicted Poland in 1921 to come to America with her sister. However her sister has tuberculosis and isn't allowed to leave Staten Island. Ewa has to pay for her care to be released, and her aunt and uncle that she planned on living with have apparently disappeared. Ewa is pulled aside by a man named Bruno (Joaquin Phoenix) who offers to help her. But soon we find that he's not as nice as he seems as he forces her into prostitution. She then finds herself falling for his eccentric cousin, Emil (Jeremy Renner) who performs as a magician. 

This is the type of movie you expect to see during Oscar season, but unfortunately the marketing for this movie was awful and it ends up on Netflix Instant instead. It's a shame, Cotillard gives a fantastic performance here. 

You may see the ending coming from a mile away, but our leads give wonderful performances and the film is never boring.

Grade: B

Memorable Quote: "I hate you, and I hate myself." - Ewa (Marion Cotillard)

Comments

  1. YASSSSS, gurl! LOVE this movie. It sits so comfortable with me. I'd love your thoughts on my review, now that you've seen this. This is in my top three of the year...such a marvelous film, and that acting ensemble is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will go find it! I watched this film at about 3:00am and still enjoyed it. That's something.

      Delete
  2. You liked it more than I did, I was so bored :) But yea Marion was great, she elevated the movie. Phoenix's character was so ridiculous and the whole resolution to Renner situation was beyond dumb

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, yeah I knew you didn't like it. :P I was kind of hoping she'd kick Phoenix's character in the balls at some point.

      Delete
  3. I really liked the film a lot as Marion was just incredible as I'm glad the critics are giving her some recognition as I'm going to see Two Days, One Night later this month. She's on a roll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll probably check this out, since it's on Instant. It sounds quite good, albeit grim.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you liked this! Like Drew, it's also in my top 3 of the year. LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Marion can really do no wrong at this point. lol

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum