DVD Review: Joe

How do you know when a movie is truly forgettable?

When you completely forget that you saw it and had planned to review it. I always review every new movie I finish, and I knew I've been forgetting something for weeks. Turns out, that something was Joe

Ex con Joe (Nicolas Cage) who runs a tree removal business takes the young Gary (Tye Sheridan) under his wing when the boy shows up to work for him one day. Gary lives in an abusive home, constantly beat by his father. (Gary Poulter, a homeless man that was cast in this film who tragically died on the streets 6 months after it wrapped)

This is probably the best I've seen Nic Cage in awhile, but I'm going to be honest. I don't like good Nic Cage. I like Batshit crazy Wicker Man Nic Cage. So watching him carry this film was kind of a bore. Tye Sheridan is wonderful though, and I was disappointed that he wasn't in it more. This kid has a seriously bright future.

Joe isn't a terrible film, it's just not terribly interesting. The 117 run times feels twice as long and I think it would've benefited with more focus on Gary and less on Joe. It feels like a lot of wasted potential. 

Recommended: No

Grade: C

Memorable Quote: "You mess up a lot." - Gary (Tye Sheridan)

Comments

  1. I prefer batshit Cage too. I want to see this one, but I have tons of films that look far more interesting to watch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cage was amazing here and finally reminded me why I stick behind him no matter what. Good review Brittani.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This had something missing...it felt like Mud-lite to me, but Sheridan was FANTASTIC and tops my Supporting ballot right now. I can't wait to see his career blossom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mud-lite for sure. It failed all around where Mud succeeded all around.

      Delete
  4. I don' like Cage at all. Maybe I should try watching Wicker Man. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wicker Man is my favorite Cage movie. Jesus, I laugh just thinking about that film.

      Delete
  5. I enjoyed this one, although it's so slow and grim, but Cage is wonderful here. Also the performance of Sheridan's on-screen father, so natural.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He was very natural, it's a shame he passed away. :(

      Delete
  6. Nice review, Brittani. I pretty much feel the same about this movie. It was decent, but I, too, quickly forgot about it. Though I am completely with you in regards to Nic Cage. I'm a huge fan of his, and while it's interesting to see him put on some legitimately good performances again such as here or in The Frozen Ground, I still can't get enough of his batshit crazy schtick. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't crazy about The Frozen Ground either, but Cage was one of the better things about that movie.

      Delete
  7. I've been meaning to see Mud forever, so maybe I'll start there. I love unhinged Cage without a doubt. Restrained Cage? I like him. You know,as a friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol. Friendzoned. Definitely start with Mud, it's far better.

      Delete
  8. I liked the film a lot, but I'm so glad we agree on Sheridan. He's terrific in the movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He has a lot of talent. I really see that kid having a great career.

      Delete
  9. This definitely not a feel good movie. If you have the desire to see something that will grab and touch you in ways that you will not be shaking anytime soon, this is the movie for you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum