2015 Golden Globe Nominations


Here are the 2015 Golden Globe nominations. Unbroken was surprisingly shut out. No tears from me over that. Big Eyes and Grand Budapest made some surprise moves. Begin Again was shut out, and most of the TV nominations are awful. (for my taste, anyways) My thoughts as always follow in green.


Best Performance By an Actress in a Television Series – Drama
Claire Danes - Homeland
Viola Davis - How to Get Away With Murder
Julianna Margulies -The Good Wife
Ruth Wilson -The Affair
Robin Wright - House of Cards

Best Original Song – Motion Picture
"Big Eyes" - Big Eyes
“Glory” - Selma
“Mercy Is” - Noah
“Opportunity” - Annie
“Yellow Flicker Beat” - The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 1
No Lost Stars from Begin again or Everything is Awesome from the Lego Movie. Honestly, the Globes usually go for more mainstream artists than the ones that actually end up winning the Oscar. I bet only Glory carries over to Oscars.

Best Original Score 
Alexandre Desplat - The Imitation Game
Jóhann Jóhannsson - The Theory of Everything
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross - Gone Girl
Antonio Sanchez - Birdman
Hans Zimmer - Interstellar
I love seeing all of these people here, but I think Sanchez will win. He deserves it. 

Best Performance By an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries, or Motion Picture Made for Television
Uzo Aduba - Orange Is the New Black
Kathy Bates - American Horror Story: Freak Show
Joanne Froggatt - Downton Abbey
Allison Janney - Mom
Michelle Monaghan - True Detective
Well, I wanted Melissa McBride here, but that always was a long shot. It's nice to see Monaghan in there though.

Best Performance by an Actress in a TV Series – Comedy 
Lena Dunham - Girls
Edie Falco - Nurse Jackie
Julia Louis-Dreyfus - Veep
Gina Rodriguez - Jane the Virgin
Taylor Schilling - Orange Is the New Black
Three thoughts: 1) Go JLD! 2) What the fuck is Jane the Virgin? and 3) OITNB isn't a comedy. 

Best Screenplay 
Wes Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel
Gillian Flynn - Gone Girl
Alejandro González Iñárritu, Nicolás Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris, and Armando Bo - Birdman
Richard Linklater - Boyhood
Graham Moore - The Imitation Game
I'm psyched to see Gone Girl here, and surprised by Grand Budapest. I thought it's early release date would hurt it. Apparently not.

Best Performance By an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Miniseries, or Motion Picture Made for Television
Matt Bomer - The Normal Heart
Alan Cumming - The Good Wife
Colin Hanks - Fargo
Bill Murray - Olive Kitteridge
Jon Voight - Ray Donovan
I'm happy for Hanks, I'm surprised Parsons got shut out here, but not as surprised as...

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Comedy 
Louis C.K. - Louie
Don Cheadle - House of Cards
Ricky Gervais - Derek
William H. Macy - Shameless
Jeffrey Tambor - Transparent
Parsons getting shut out here. Oh well, Louis C.K is there.

Best Foreign Language Film
Force Majeure
Get
Ida
Leviathan
Tangerine Mandarin
I haven't even heard of any of these...

Best Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television
Fargo
The Missing
The Normal Heart
Olive Kitteridge
True Detective
So now True Detective is a mini series. They should've been one at the Emmys if they wanted to win. Going up against Breaking Bad in it's final season was stupid. 

Best Television Series – Comedy 
Girls
Jane the Virgin
Orange Is the New Black
Silicon Valley
Transparent
No Veep? Louie? Zzzzzzzz

Best Animated Feature Film
Big Hero 6
The Book of Life
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
The Lego Movie
Go HTTYD2!!!

Best Performance By an Actor in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television
Martin Freeman - Fargo
Woody Harrelson - True Detective
Matthew McConaughey - True Detective
Mark Ruffalo - The Normal Heart
Billy Bob Thornton - Fargo
I expected Cumberbatch to be here for Sherlock, but I didn't expect True Detective to be a mini, so there that went..

Best Performance By an Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama
Jennifer Aniston - Cake
Felicity Jones - The Theory of Everything
Julianne Moore - Still Alice
Rosamund Pike - Gone Girl
Reese Witherspoon - Wild
Loving Pike being here. Aniston again, the Best Actress race is getting tighter. 

Best Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Birdman
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Into the Woods
Pride
St. Vincent
I wish Begin Again was here. I imagine it was better than St. Vincent. Pride is a surprise, I still really want to see that one.

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series – Drama
Clive Owen - The Knick
Liev Schreiber - Ray Donovan
Kevin Spacey - House of Cards
James Spader - The Blacklist
Dominic West - The Affair

Best Television Series – Drama
The Affair
Downton Abbey
Game of Thrones
The Good Wife
House of Cards
This is Game of Thrones' only nod. It better win here.

Best Performance By an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Robert Duvall - The Judge
Ethan Hawke - Boyhood
Edward Norton - Birdman
Mark Ruffalo - Foxcatcher
J.K. Simmons - Whiplash
Duvall AGAIN?! 

Best Performance By an Actor in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Ralph Fiennes - The Grand Budapest Hotel
Michael Keaton - Birdman
Bill Murray - St. Vincent
Joaquin Phoenix - Inherent Vice
Christoph Waltz - Big Eyes
Big Eyes isn't dead yet. (Actually it probably is after these) Fiennes is a surprise. For me anyways.

Best Performance by an Actress in a Miniseries or Motion Picture Made for Television
Maggie Gyllenhaal - The Honorable Woman
Jessica Lange - American Horror Story: Freak Show
Frances McDormand - Olive Kitteridge
Frances O’Connor - The Missing
Allison Tolman - Fargo
Allison *heart eyes*

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Jessica Chastain - A Most Violent Year
Keira Knightley - The Imitation Game
Emma Stone - Birdman
Meryl Streep - Into the Woods

Best Director 
Wes Anderson - The Grand Budapest Hotel
Ava DuVernay - Selma
David Fincher - Gone Girl
Alejandro González Iñárritu - Birdman
Richard Linklater - Boyhood
Wes Anderson being here is a shock. I love that Fincher is though. 

Best Performance By an Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical
Amy Adams -Big Eyes
Emily Blunt - Into the Woods
Helen Mirren - The Hundred-Foot Journey
Julianne Moore - Still Alice
Quvenzhané Wallis - Annie
I swear Wallis is a consolation prize. I love her, she's got a long career if she wants it, but I feel like the Globes felt guilty about not nominating her eventual Oscar performance in Beasts of the Southern Wild. You can't tell me her performance as a precocious child (anyone can play Annie, let's be honest.) is better than Jenny Slate in Obvious Child or Keira Knightley in Begin Again. 

Best Performance By an Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
Steve Carell - Foxcatcher
Benedict Cumberbatch - The Imitation Game
Jake Gyllenhaal - Nightcrawler
David Oyelowo - Selma
Eddie Redmayne - The Theory of Everything
The sad thing about this list is that they are all worthy men, but one of them won't get an Oscar nomination (because you know Keaton will)

Best Motion Picture – Drama
Boyhood
Foxcatcher
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
I wanted Gone Girl to be here, but this is a tight race. I'll hold out for Best Picture. 


Comments

  1. Tangerin (English title) Mandariin (Estonian title) is representing my country at the Golden Globes!!! My god. I'm very excited because it's a big deal and I liked the movie a lot! Talked about it shortly in this post http://mettelray.wordpress.com/2013/12/22/movie-that-i-2013-in-retrospect/ .. Should maybe write a review as well to spread this awesome news for Estonian film. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (yay, you can comment again!)

      That's awesome it's Estonian! I didn't actually look at IMDb before I posted my list to see where each film is from. It's always hard for me to see the foreign films before the actual Oscars in my part of the states. They never come to theaters here.

      Delete
  2. -I totally agree on Sanchez for best score. Birdman was made 10 times better by a single drum set!
    -Can't believe Parsons was shut out of comedic actor! His absence may be a sign of things to come, but I still love him. The whole list of TV noms just seems odd.
    -I'm not as surprised by the love for Grand Budapest, particularly Fiennes nom. He was great!
    -If Gyllenhaal can keep this momentum up, I could see Carell losing his shot at an Oscar nom. The talk surrounding Foxcatcher has died, for the most part. I think Oyelowo, Cumberbatch and Redmayne are sure things for Oscar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birdman wouldn't have worked without the score. He deserves all the awards.

      Big Bang Theory has fallen pretty far from it's glory days, you're right. It could be a sign.

      I guess I kept forgetting it was released this year and not last year. lol.

      I hope Gyllenhaal keeps the momentum. It's going to be a close race between him, Carell, and Oyelowo. Cumberbatch, Redmayne, and Keaton are locks.

      Delete
  3. I still need to see some of these films so I've got no comments on motion pictures, EXCEPT: how isn't Everything Is Awesome nominated?!! If it were and one it would be the most amazing moment. There's this list on Spotify that has two versions on repeat for 10 hours and it's genius.

    I can't argue with John Legend for Glory though, that man gives me chills.

    Oh and Jane the Virgin it's an hilarious show that kinda mocks the telenovela format. I'm surprised that it got nominated, but I'm glad because it's very creative and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never even heard of that show. I was like "wtf?"

      Everything is Awesome NEEDS to get an Oscar nomination. It's hilarious. Lost Stars from Begin Again needs one too.

      Delete
  4. Damn, seeing what was excluded from best song makes me even more annoyed that that schlock from Mockingjay somehow got a nomination. :P

    I'm personally annoyed that Interstellar only got a nomination for best score, hopefully it'll do better for the Oscars, but at this point I'm not exactly holding out hope.

    And yeah, that best actor in a drama sure does look like it's gonna be a tight race, though I'm still probably gonna be pulling for Keaton come the Oscars anyways. Just hope it's not Gyllenhaal who gets the cut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Interstellar will get a lot of technical nominations for sure. I see it getting both sound nods, special effects, etc.

      I'll be majorly bummed if it's Gyllenhaal who gets cut. His performance is actually my favorite.

      And yes, the Best Song cat sucks here.

      Delete
  5. i am so not a fan of michelle on true detective. i keep forgetting she's even on that show. you know i love melissa mcbride too! Would love to see the Birdman soundtrack win as well. I haven't see Annie, but I am shocked to see Q here as well. No Veep OR Jenny Slate? That's some bs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS some BS. I'm wondering if the HFPA got a little freaked out by Obvious Child?

      Melissa McBride needs to get some recognition soon. She's the best actor on a mediocre (yet entertaining) show. Hopefully the Emmys or someone will see past TWD's flaws and see that her performances are extraordinary.

      Delete
  6. Parsons snubs are really awful, especially The Normal Heart. He was flawless in that and is still my win for Best Supporting Actor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really surprised he got snubbed for Big Bang too. It's going to be weird seeing the Globes without the Big Bang or Modern Family cast there.

      Delete
  7. I can't comment on the movies either because I haven't watch most of them. But Television...Downton Abbey for best series? Really? As much I enjoy watching it, each season is weaker than the last. New characters keep being thrown in the mix and most of the characters just have such weak storyline. And Bates being a suspect for two different murders for the last few seasons has been dragged on for too long. I like Game of Thrones so I'm glad it got nominated but these award things never favor fantasy right?
    Wandering through the Shelves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. lol Though Game of Thrones deserves it. Even non fantasy fans love that show.

      Delete
  8. I'm not really bothered by most of these, except the lack of Begin Again. That deserved multiple nominations!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum