DVD Review: A Promise

Promise me you'll make a better film next time.

I'm going to spoil the ending of this film towards the bottom of my review. But let's face it, this film isn't that great to begin with, so you're not missing much.

The film takes place in Germany before WWI. Friedrich (Richard Madden) is an ambitious young man who comes to work for Karl Hoffmeister. (Alan Rickman) Karl takes him under his wing and when he becomes ill, asks Friedrich to move into his house to help him with day to day operations, then report back to the office. While doing that, Friedrich and Karl's young wife, Lotte (Rebecca Hall) fall deeply in love, practically after first sight.

You'd think with a cast like Rickman, Madden, and Hall, this movie would be great, but aside from them giving good performances the movie just fails all around. The editing is terrible, I felt like I was watching a slide show at times, and I had to wait for the slide to be replaced as we changed scenes. Then there's Friedrich and Lotte's relationship. It basically consists of them staring at each other. When Friedrich is sent away, they pledge to wait for each other..and they don't even have sex. Not once. Nor do they even kiss. Not even after he returns after six years. No sex scenes at all. I was deprived of this:

I knew this movie got bad reviews, but I watched it anyways for the cast, and also thinking I'd be getting some glorious Richard Madden nakedness. Nope. Then get this, on his death bed, Karl tells Lotte he brought Friedrich there FOR her. Because he could tell they loved each other from the beginning. WHAT?!?!?! Yes, of all the mediocrity that is this film, this is what I choose to bitch about the most, but I can't help it. It was the least they could've done.

Recommended: No

Grade: C

Memorable Quote: "Don't you think it's a little late for work?" - Karl Hoffmeister (Alan Rickman)

Comments

  1. No sex? For 6 years? With Madden around? What the fuck?!

    I mean I love these three people but it looks boring and after reading this - ridiculous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the fucking ending? FACKING BULLSHIT!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was mildly interested when I noticed the film on Amazon, but I think I'll skip it now.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum