Indie Gems: But I'm A Cheerleader

You mean everyone doesn't have these thoughts?

Poor Megan (Natasha Lyonne) she's so naive that she doesn't even realize she's a lesbian. Her friends and family have to stage an intervention for her. So they send her off to a rehabilitation camp to get straightened out. It's just as ridiculous as you can imagine. The girls are forced to wear hot pink, the boys blue, they're subjected to exercises to help them be hetero again. (Girls, cleaning and cooking. Boys, playing football) Megan is determined to work through this, until she meets and falls for Graham (Clea DuVall)

This movie is hilarious. This is kind of how I imagine these awful camps really are. Counselor Mike (RuPaul) at one point threatens the boys with "watching sports all weekend" if they don't butch up. The film isn't just a bunch of one liners, it relays a very important message, which is loving yourself for who you are.  I think this is easily Lyonne's best work, plus standout Melanie Lynskey is a pleasure to watch as well. Really, the entire cast is wonderful and perfect for their parts.

This one is on Netflix Instant, so check it out if you haven't seen it.

Grade: A

Memorable Quote: "No pain no gain, if you want to like dick, you'd better start training yourself." - Sinead (Katharine Towne)

Fun Fact: This movie was originally given an NC-17 rating for I shit you not - a fully clothed female masturbation scene shot from the waist up, and a fully clothed love scene between two girls where the most intimate thing that happens is leg kissing. Seriously.

Comments

  1. I heard about that controversy over its rating. What bullshit that is! It's just homophobic.

    I do love this film as my favorite character in the film is Andre. Douglas Spain stole the film for me. "I wasn't meant to be butch... I'm a sissy!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved that part too. I think the guys in this were my favorite. Yeah, the MPAA is definitely homophobic. Gay centered films always get shit ratings. (Mysterious Skin)

      Delete
  2. Glad you mentioned this one! It's cute, funny, and touches on an important subject that is still an issue now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's definitely still relevant today. I hope more people get to see it.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum