Indie Gems: Thank You For Smoking

Don't hide the truth. Just filter it.
Nick Naylor (Aaron Eckhart) is a tobacco lobbyist. He's a talented public speaker and serves as the chief spokesperson for Big Tobacco. He takes his young son (Cameron Bright) along with him on what he thinks will be a routine business trip, but it wouldn't be a movie if everything went according to plan, right?
This was the first Jason Reitman film I'd ever seen. I guess it appealed to me because even though I don't smoke, I grew up constantly around it. So when I hear people complain about smoke in a bar, I kind of just want to slap them and tell them to get over it. That aside - this was the start of what became Reitman's classic style. It's funny, deadpan, and the cast is fantastic. Even Katie Holmes manages to turn in a performance where she doesn't suck.
One of the things I enjoyed the most about the film was the subtitles that appeared at the bottom of the screen occasionally. That was a nice touch. And another fun fact: Even though this film is about smoking, there's not a single character that's see smoking on screen.
Grade: A
Memorable Quote" "These environmentalists." (pussies) - BR (J.K Simmons)

Comments

  1. Loved this movie! I haven't seen it in ages, but I really remember being pleased with it, especially Eckhart's tremendous performance (funny, but with heart).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eckhart was great. I was happy when he scored a Golden Globe nom for this.

      Delete
  2. I really like this one as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE this movie. So smart and funny. Eckhart was fantastic here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saying Katie Holmes doesn't suck is a great selling point to this review Brittani. I'm glad you liked this one. I had no idea that smoking is never shown on screen once. Great review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, this is probably the least terrible Katie Holmes has been in a movie.

      Delete
  5. Gah, I love this movie and haven't rewatched it in WAY too long. Thanks for the reminder, and well done, as always :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, let's talk movies!
(comments are moderated to reduce spam)

Popular posts from this blog

Review: The Batman

Thursday Movie Picks: Wedding Movies

Random Ramblings: The Radio Flyer Conundrum